Nitrous oxide is an inorganic gas used as a sedative during dental treatments. Also known as laughing gas, it is an effective mild sedative that provides comfort to patients during the treatment. Nitrous oxide is mixed with oxygen and inhaled through a mask to take effect on the body. It helps patients overcome fear and anxiety about the treatment and relax during the dental procedure. Del Rey Dental provides nitrous oxide sedation to patients with the help of expert dentists in Dallas, TX.
Facts About Nitrous Oxide as a Sedative
- Nitrous oxide acts instantly on the body and wears off immediately after the treatment.
- The sedative helps to relieve pain caused during the dental treatment.
- It is a non-invasive procedure that is easy to administer through a breathing mask.
- Nitrous oxide is a safe sedative that causes no discomfort during or after the treatment.
- The sedative is odorless and does not cause any irritation while inhaling from the mask.
Effects of Nitrous Oxide Sedation
- Nitrous oxide reduces the patient's anxiety during the treatment and enables the patient to relax during the treatment.
- It helps to reduce the gag reflex that some patients may have and stops it from interfering during dental treatments.
- Nitrous oxide increases the tolerance of the patients to attend to long dental treatments.
- The sedative helps mentally and physically challenged patients to stay calm through the oral procedure.
- It allows the patient to communicate during the treatment and does not put the patient to sleep.
How Is Nitrous Oxide Sedation Administered?
Nitrous oxide is administered to the patient on the dental chair. A mask is attached to the patient's nose through which the sedative is inhaled. It gives a warm tingling sensation to the patient and makes them light-headed. The sedative makes the patient feel relaxed, calm, and giggly during the treatment. The dentist keeps track of the level of the sedative and only provides the required amount to the patient. The patient can communicate to the dentist when the sedative is administered. The effect of the sedative wears off immediately after the mask is detached from the nose.
Del Rey Dental has efficient dentists who help the patients through dental treatments by providing sedatives like nitrous oxide. Call 469.917.7444 and schedule an appointment with the dentistry to know more about the safe use of sedatives during dental treatments.