Wisdom Tooth Extractions – Dallas, TX
Bid Farewell to Troublesome Third Molars
Every year, countless adolescents and young adults undergo wisdom tooth extractions. In fact, this procedure might even be considered a sort of rite of passage. But why are wisdom tooth extractions necessary, and how can you know for sure whether you need to bid farewell to your third molars? Read this page to discover important information, and then get in touch with our emergency dental team in Dallas when you are ready to book your consultation.
Why Choose Del Rey Dental for Wisdom Tooth Extractions?
- Nitrous Oxide Sedation for Patient Comfort
- Partnered with Local Specialists for Complex Cases
- Caring, Experienced, & Skilled Dental Team
What Are Wisdom Teeth?
The wisdom teeth are the third set of molars, which are located at the very back of the mouth. They tend to develop when a person is in their teens or early twenties. Most people develop four of them, but some individuals have more or fewer. In fact, some people never get any wisdom teeth at all.
Why Do Wisdom Teeth Need to Be Removed?
Wisdom teeth removal is not necessary in all cases. Our team can keep a close eye on your wisdom teeth during your routine exams and let you know if/when they need to be extracted. Here are some signs that they might need to come out:
- They are badly decayed.
- They are causing you pain.
- They often get food stuck around them.
- They are impacted (stuck beneath the gumline).
- They have cysts or tumors around them.
- You wish to get your wisdom teeth extracted as a precautionary measure.
What to Expect from the Wisdom Teeth Procedure
If a wisdom tooth is fully erupted, removing it should be a straightforward process. After numbing your mouth, we will use an instrument called an elevator to lift the tooth out of its socket. Then, we will grip the tooth with forceps and wiggle it in order to break the connective tissues holding it in place. We will finish by cleaning the socket and placing gauze to control bleeding.
If a tooth is impacted, the extraction procedure tends to be more complicated. We may refer you to a local specialist.
Recovering From Wisdom Teeth Extraction
Most people are back to feeling normal within a couple of weeks of their extraction procedure. To make your recovery as smooth as possible, you should:
- Take any medications as recommended by our team.
- Continue to attend to your oral hygiene, but avoid the extraction sites until a degree of healing has occurred.
- Eat a soft diet.
- Do not use drinking straws.
- Do not smoke.
- Get in touch with us if you have any questions or concerns.